Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Owlie Howly Pacifier Leash Tutorial - Mother Crafter

Vanina from Mother Crafter is here to share her Owlie Howly Pacifier Leash Tutorial, today...

If you have a pacifier baby, you know how tiring it is to pick it up from the floor every 5 or 10 minutes and have to wash it. Or how easily they disappear when you need them and the sleep deprivation doesn't let you remember where you put it. Paloma likes her pacifier so we needed a clip or a leash, but didn't like the ones that are in the stores. And why would I buy it if I could make it? Better yet, if I could make it using stuff I already had at home. So I did a couple of leashes for her chupete (pacifier in Spanish) using the clips of some lanyards Michael got at a couple of special events and a piece of fabric. 

If you keep EVERYTHING and try to re-purpose EVERYTHING like me (you have a mess- hopefully an organized mess) and here it is- a use for those lanyards! It is so easy and fast that I would call this tutorial the Fast and Furious Tutorial! :) Before we get to it, I want to give a big thank you to my friend Julieta (Emma's mom) for the awesome pictures she took for this post. You will see next, they are amazing! You will need:
  • Fabric
  • Lanyard with clip
  • Snap Fasteners (a kit or sew on)
  • Plushie (This is optional. I used a keychain I bought at Old Navy at a Christmas Clearance in 2009. They were $1.47 each! So I bought four of them.)
 

Okay, Manos a la obra! Cut a 10 1/2" by 2 1/2" strip out of your fabric.

 

Fold in half lengthwise, right side together, and sew along the edge and along one of the short edges with a 1/4" seam. 

   

Turn the strip right side up. You can use a safety-pin - be careful if a baby is in you arms :) or just your fingers (I always use my fingers).
  
  

Iron it flat. Now disassemble the lanyard so you will only have the clip.  

   

 Fold the open edge of the fabric strip inside itself at about 1/4" and iron flat. 

   

Take your clip and fold the same end at about 2" over the clip.  

   

Pin and sew. Use your back-stitch setting in your sewing machine and sew it again to reinforce it.  

  
  
Next you will install the snaps, either with the tool and a hammer or by sewing them on, at the other end of the strip at about 2" apart. 

   

Now get your plushie and attach it to the clip. If you are using a keychain like I did use the ring to attach them together. I had two different clips so I am showing you both in the next picture (we took the picture before sewing the strip to the clips.

   

And you are done!  

  

Attach it to your baby's binky and go for a stroll to celebrate. We sure did it with Julieta and Emma!  




You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!

7 comments:

  1. Oh these are so cute! I don't have any little ones anymore, but I bet you could sell these all day long to people who do! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that almost makes me want to have another baby, very cute! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaawww... Isn't that the cutest project?! I love it! Thank you for the tutorial! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously the cutest this ever!!!! I love this tutorial Vanina! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial!!! If only I had a paci baby right now to make this for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is adorable, and such a great idea! My son is grown now, but I remember the countless time that thing ended up on the ground. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So stinkin' adorable! Yay for clearance and creativity! Such a great tutorial! These would make a great baby gift! Thanks for the great share, Vanina!

    ReplyDelete