Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mercury Glass Craft Project - Grace Grits and Gardening

grace grits and gardening
Have you tried Krylon's Looking-Glass spray paint? It's an easy way to make faux-mercury glass decorations for the holidays using inexpensive pressed glass. 

Although I had lofty ideas of painting plastic pumpkins, for successful results the paint should only be used on clear glass objects like bowls, vases, picture frames and candlesticks. When sprayed on the reverse side of an object, the paint dries to a dull finish then reflects a mirrored-like shine on the opposite side. (This product is for decorative use only and should not come into contact with food.)

Pictures of my before objects...nondescript pressed glass, rarely if ever used...
before - pressed glass bowl
before - basic candle coaster
Spray five light coats, allowing the paint to set one minute between coats. The picture below is after the first thin coat.
first coat
The next picture was taken after five coats. 
after fifth coat
According to the instructions, let set one hour before handling. I recommend even longer as the paint rubbed off a bit on my fingertips after an hour. (The Dallas heat and humidity may have added to the smudging...)

This was a fun and easy project and a great way to dress-up unused glassware or mismatched flea market pieces.

talya

Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.


22 comments:

  1. I love the look I think it's a great idea for mismatched glassware

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool project! I have not tried this, but I will now!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danni! Since I did this, I've been spraying everything with the looking-glass spray - haha.

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! Now I think I need to head to the thrift store :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Y'all are making me want to get out of the kitchen and start some cute crafting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome! What a great way to dress up unused pieces of glassware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy with the way it turned out. I will say it continues to rub off on my hands even weeks later, but I think that adds to the distressed look...

      Delete
  6. I bought a can of looking glass spray paint and STILL haven't used it! I need to get to it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try this! Looks so cool. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never really thought about doing this, but what a great way to repurpose old glassware that doesn't really have a use. Be nice to clean out some of those cabinets! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun way to dress up your flea market finds. My kids would be all over this in their rooms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing you here. I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talya - I have to find this spray paint - I looked for it at our craft shop yesterday but they didn't have it or anything like it. Next stop the hardware store. Love the transformation - so so pretty!

    ReplyDelete