Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pumpkin Harvest Soup and Muenster Sandwiches

Danni here from Silo Hill Farm and I can't tell you how happy I am with this series on soups and sandwiches.  One of the reasons I love fall is because it's the beginning of soup season.  Of course, since I also love pumpkins, I had to make this Pumpkin Harvest Soup.
I cannot lie to you...this soup was inspired by a trip to the supermarket where Food Network magazine caught my eye in the check-out line.  There on the cover of this months issue was a pumpkin-apple soup in a beautiful bread bowl.  Stopped me right in my tracks.   Since the issue also included a bonus booklet called "50 things to make with canned pumpkin", into my cart it went.  (Total impulse purchase, rare for me.)
Now, I'll tell you two things right here and now.  One.. that I always think I can improve on a recipe and this soup was no exception. Two....I'm not making bread bowls.  A regular bowl works just fine for me and I don't need all the extra calories from a bowl you can eat.   
You can find the original recipe in the magazine, but I messed around with it a little and this is the way I made mine.
This soup makes 4-6 servings and the ingredients are not too involved at all...

1/4 C. creamy peanut butter
2 C. chicken broth
1 15oz. can pumpkin
1/2 C. cream
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 apples (cored and chopped into bite size pieces)
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
4 strips cooked crumbled bacon (not pictured..because I forgot)

Cook 1/2 of the chopped apple in butter until soft.
Put the pumpkin in a pan and whisk in the broth, peanut butter, cream, syrup and pumpkin pie spice.  Add sauteed apple.  Simmer ten minutes.
Ladle into 4 soup bowls and top with remaining chopped apple and cooked crumbled bacon.  Serve immediately.

OPEN FACE MUENSTER CHEESE SANDWICHES


Muenster cheese is a semi-soft cheese from the United States.  It is a pale, smooth, easy melting cheese made from cow's milk.  It is very mild in flavor although European versions are much more pungent. I think it's kind of buttery tasting and I love it!  If you can't find it in the packaged cheese section of your grocery store, try the deli.  This is the kind I use..
This sandwich couldn't be easier.  Start with garlic bread, either homemade or store bought.  (Mine came from the bakery section of the grocery store.)
Put it on a small baking pan and bake at 425 for 5 minutes on each side.  Pull it out and add a slice of Muenster cheese to each piece.  Put it back in the oven for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.  I particularly like this one with tomato soup!  A quick note for those of you who might be wondering why I don't just use mozzarella cheese...well first, because that would just be cheesy garlic bread.  Second, Muenster cheese, although quite creamy and delicious, is not all stringy like mozzarella and is not nearly as "chewy".

If you have a favorite soup or sandwich recipe (or both) be sure to come back and link it up Monday, Nov. 4th.  We'd love to see what you've made!
In the meantime, check back here next Monday to see what Heather from The Beating Hearth is making!


21 comments:

  1. Mmm Danni that looks yummy, peanut butter in soup now that's different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut Butter? I think you're going to hear that a lot!!! My beloved husband might just think this is the best thing on the planet. Peanut butter. Pumpkin. BACON!!!! Oh yeah. And your cheese toast...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This soup sounds so interesting (very pretty) - I'd never think to put pumpkin and PB in soup....now I'm dying to know what it taste like! And as much as I love a bread bowl, I'm with you, I'll skip all the extra calories and put it in a bowl. Oh, and I love muenster - next time I make cheesy bread, I'll use it! Thx! Great share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, ok, then! So how did the soup taste? I love peanut butter but am not that adventurous to try it with pumpkin to make a soup. On the other hand, I love sandwiches and that open faced muenster cheese one looks so delish - even though it is plain. Btw, will your family have the pumpkin maze this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, peanut butter?? The soup sounds very interesting and maybe one cold evening I will make it since I am quite curious to know how the flavor is :) Thanks, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is an easy recipe! I am pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm gonna have to go grocery shopping because this has to happen here tonight. Brian love pumpkin and peanut butter AND cheese sandwiches. This will definitely be a hit. Thanks, Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would probably like your recipe, but there is no way I'll get Dimitri to eat this {he is still a firm believer that PB belongs on bread only ;-) }

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bread looks awesome. Love muenster cheese - it's got more flavor than mozzarella. What did you change about the soup? I've never put peanut butter in my soup before. Sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've yet to try pumpkin soup, though your recipe sounds almost like dessert! And topping it off with bacon, mmmm. I always forget about the open face sandwich, great idea. Mozz sure works on pizza, but I agree Muenster is more flavorful and rich. Here's to soup season, looks delish, Danni!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds sooooo good! Now all I need is the maple syrup...someone (I won't rat them out) dropped our bottle and broke it all over the floor and cabinets and pantry....
    I love soup- definitely hitting my table soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish we could get the canned pumpkin here - this sounds sooooooo good Danni! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  13. The peanut butter is a big surprise to me, too! I'm pinning this to make now that weather has turned cold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks very yummy! I love peanut butter, but never heard of it being used in soup. How awesome is that?!! What a great fall recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peanut butter! Very interesting.. I bet it goes perfectly with the pumpkin to level it out :) Great recipe Danni. Pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK.....that sounds really good and so easy! I'm trying that....when it gets a bit cooler here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm hungry. Please come make this for me right now. Thank you.

    =D

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not normally a fan of peanut butter but this looks delicious and belly warming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this sounds great! I'm with you on the bread bowl thing - soggy bread is not a fave. :)

    ReplyDelete